Thursday, April 18, 2013

I Like to Think I'm Not Dumber Than Previous Generations Because I Use the Internet



I’ve always had thoughts of starting a blog or keeping a focused journal and one day compiling it into something meaningful to other people.  I would disseminate it and millions of people would instantly be awed by my genius insight into anything and everything.  However, generally I get bored with my own writings within the first couple of weeks and give up my project as a lost cause.  Hopefully that will not be the case in this class.  I don’t expect to awe you with my insights, but I do hope to have something worthwhile to say for the entire six-week period of this class.  So here goes: 

Today I started off reading, Does the Internet Make You Dumber?  I have to say that my initial reaction was not favorable.  I should mention that I grew up with the internet.  I only vaguely remember a time when my household did not own an internet-connected computer, and I don’t like to think that I may be dumber than previous generations simply because I grew up playing on the internet.  I certainly understand some of the points the author makes, but I disagree with the final conclusion.  I would say that instead of the internet and its distractions making us shallower, it has taught us to filter out what is unimportant and how to focus on what we’re truly interested in.   The Cornell University class example is interesting to me because I still believe that the half of the class who performed better on the test (and weren’t on computers during the lecture) only committed their knowledge to short-term memory.  If they weren’t interested in really learning the material, they would lose it just as quickly as those who were on computers.  The point to take away is that if people WANT to learn “deep” meaningful material, they will, even with the distractions of the internet.     

After the first article, I moved on to Does the Internet Make You Smarter?  As expected, I agree more with the author of this article.  I will say that I don’t believe that the internet actually makes us smarter.  It is simply a tool and as such can’t make us either smarter or dumber, but I do believe that as a tool, it provides greater access than ever before to material that could make us more informed and knowledgeable.  I particularly like the point the author made when speaking of the printing press.  Not all books are high-minded literature.  We have to learn to sort out what is quality and what is not, but if anything, frequent use of the internet makes us more adept at sorting that out. 
Ultimately the internet provides a platform for unknown authors, artists, musicians, filmmakers to disseminate their works and get people thinking.  It is up to the rest of us to decide how to make use of that.   Specifically from the article, Literate societies become literate by investing extraordinary resources, every year, training children to read. Now it's our turn to figure out what response we need to shape our use of digital tools.”  Just as with the printing press, the advent of the internet resulted in a major cultural shift.  It is up to us and the forerunners of the next generations to figure out how to filter out what could make us shallow and focus on how to put this new tool to good use.  

No comments:

Post a Comment