Thursday, April 25, 2013

I'll Give it 5 Stars

Today I read "Social Media Playbook" and listened to "Star Search." What I found interesting from the written article was the focus on a new type of target segmentation.  I completely agree that web marketing gives marketers the ability to focus on potential consumers' behaviors and actions instead of just a set of demographics.  Marketers and advertisers now have the ability to more specifically target messages to people based not on age and income, but on cultural interests and even past purchasing behaviors.  This opens up new avenues for creative and effective advertising that is more likely to hit home with its intended audience-definitely more bang for the buck!

"Star Search" was interesting to me because I've certainly encountered the problem of too-positive product reviews.  As a consumer, how am I supposed to compare two brands of printer paper (to use the one of the examples cited in the interview) when all the reviews are glowing and make it appear that both brand X and Y could be the be-all end-all solution to my printing needs?  As a marketer, I have to understand two things: 1. Reviews for certain types of products (perhaps a hotel) are more influential in consumers' decisions than reviews for other types of products (printer paper, anyone?). 2.  Knowing that reviews for each of my competitors may be as positive as my rave reviews, I need to focus my messages on my differentiating WOW factors.  Making those distinctions can help a company target their messages in the most effective way.      

No comments:

Post a Comment