Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Brick and Mobile?



Today I read all of the required reading for this week, and I am amazed (sort of) at how much companies’ online storefronts are now affecting their brick and mortar retail spaces.  I am amazed because it is overwhelming to what extent some stores have changed their physical locations to be more in sync with their online personas.  I say “sort of” because I am seeing it everywhere.

What is even more interesting to me is the firms who have only been online and how they are now creating a whole new version of what retail space can look like.  For example, I wear Warby Parker eyeglasses, and I can absolutely see the company’s online personality translated into the physical store described in “Warby Parker: Taking Eyewear to the Web.”  Warby Parker has created an entire consumer experience, and now their job is to provide in a physical location the price, convenience, and customer service that they’re known for online.

Overdrive brings up a great point that wasn’t covered in the assigned readings: price comparison.  (Read the article here.)  I think the price comparison offered online is a HUGE advantage over brick and mortar stores.  If traditional retailers can offer that convenience in-store, it would be a major selling point to many online shoppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment